01 May 2011

Sekit Projects completed

Sekrit Projects Completed!

(and new ones started, but those later)

So herein a few of the projects I finished this past year (and crossing my thumbs that the compression-thing works.)



Embroidered hanky, on Arty Brother’s design, and my first (very bad) attempt at chain stitch fill. Note to self: Never ever use red as a solid fill on a hankie again. Unless the red is a small part of the complete design; each time I see this IRL it looks like an awful nosebleed ^_^



Jar cover for Engineering Brother, based on a kite-surfing photo. I think this thread was old as it frayed like whoa. Also, back- and stem-stitches need careful thought when combining. The textures were pretty unbalanced. I also decided to leave out the “kite-strings” (what are they called?) because the halter was already one thread thick, and it would’ve looked too bold. Turns out that confused everybody. Oh, well. Next time I try this, I’ll know to go for stylized more than realistic.



Scissor-keep for Arty Sister, based on this kit by Textile Heritage. It worked really well as an introduction to cross-stitch; the design was effective but easy to figure out, and the instructions were mostly clear. Yes, the scissors should have been attached to the corner opposite to the tassel; my mistake. (the finishing instructions were the most difficult to follow, but I’m not a stitcher, so a lot of it needed figuring out. Also, wow Aida fabric frays like anything – especially after re-stitching for the third time!^_^).  If I see Textile Heritage kits in RSA again, I'll definitely snap them up.

Christmas present for Man Of Wonder, who I was lucky enough to be with one whole month. It was going to be the next one, but that only got finished in mid-Jan, so...


















Mark II went to my parents. (Unfortunately, I forgot to record the kit name) I’m rather proud of it, the conversion and completion took months. Photo rather obviously taken pre-iron:





So these were the best/most significant things I've done.  I'm pretty much happy with my progress so far, as I'm steadily learning about fabrics, colour, and improving my needle control.  Also, having fun which is kind of the entire point :)

No comments:

Post a Comment